Small Engine

Small Engine Troubleshooting Problems? Ask a Mechanic Now.

I have a gravely zero turn rider with a 21hp Kawasaki engine.

Customer Question
The mower is not recharging...
I have a gravely zero turn rider with a 21hp Kawasaki engine. The mower is not recharging the battery when in use. What could the problem be
Submitted: 3 years ago.Category: Small Engine
6/21/2015
Technician: Curtis B., Technician replied 3 years ago
Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Welcome to JUST ANSWER small engines, let me try to help you !! Do you have a voltmeter to test with? The stator/alternator coil is under the flywheel of the engine, and has two wires that go to a voltage regulator/rectifier. The rectifier takes the AC volts and changes it to DC volts. This is what charges the battery.
do I need to take the engine apart to access this
No, all you need to do is the tests at the voltage regulator on the side of the engine. With voltmeter set on AC volts, and harness unplugged from the regulator, run engine at speed, while probing the two stator wires, read the meter, looking for at least 28 volts AC. If it is there, stator is good. The plug harness back to regulator, set meter on DC volts, and with black lead to ground, use red lead to probe the output from the regulator, it should read 1/2 of the stator voltage in DC volts, or around 14 volts. It will always read battery voltage, but has to be above battery voltage to charge the battery.