Donald
Donald, Small Engine Technician
Experience:  I have 25+ years of experience repairing 2 & 4 cycle engines
72377906

My Simplicity riding lawn mower with a Briggs Stratton Model

Customer Question

My Simplicity riding lawn mower with a Briggs Stratton Model(###) ###-####01 engine starts alright but when it warms up and I turn it off it won't start again until it cools down. Any ideas? I would prefer doing the repair myself.
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Donald replied 2 years ago.
How long do you have to allow your engine to cool down, before it will restart?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
at least an hour.
Expert:  Donald replied 2 years ago.
Do you have any carburetor cleaner in a can? Are you familiar with checking for spark to your spark plug?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I do have some carb cleaner and I am able to check or replace the plugs. Which I have done in the past with no results.
Expert:  Donald replied 2 years ago.
I would like for you to try something. Immediately after you shut off your engine, after it warms up, spray a small burst of carburetor cleaner directly into your carburetor, to see if your engine will start up briefly. If not, then remove your spark plug, and check to see if you are getting spark to your spark plug.
Expert:  Donald replied 2 years ago.
These tests will help us to determine if our problem is fuel or ignition related.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
This sounds good. I'll try it when I can. Thanks
Expert:  Donald replied 2 years ago.
You are very welcome! We can continue from here.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
As I replied a couple of days ago the carb cleaner didn't help and there was no spark from the plug. Between the weather and work I haven't had much time to work on the mower.
Expert:  Donald replied 2 years ago.
If you are not getting any spark, immediately after your engine shuts off, this indicates that our problem is very likely going to be a faulty ignition coil.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Ok, thanks.I won't be able to check that until a part is ordered and installed.That is going to take several days.
Expert:  Donald replied 2 years ago.
Very good! No problem.