Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  have worked on and around most engine models for 35 yrs./Polaris ATV expert
30244710

I have a M16 single cylinder 16hp Kohler engine on a Walker

Customer Question

I have a M16 single cylinder 16hp Kohler engine on a Walker mower. I have rebuilt it twice now. The piston shaft shatters for some reason. There is no scaring on the piston walls and they measure correctly. There is no indications of damage to the piston head or other scaring, scratching or wear any place else. But after 10-20 hours of operation the piston shafts start to go and finally shatter. The only thing I can figure is that the crank shaft is messed up. That's a $500-$700 replacement part(s) and it's still a shot in the dark to assume that's the problem. Suggestions? Have you heard of this problem before?
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Wayne replied 2 years ago.
Hi I'm Wayne
I will help you with this
I have rebuilt engine s for 34+ years
When you say the Piston Shaft , do you mean the rod
are you installing it correct ,dimple toward the cam
let me know