Small Engine

Small Engine Troubleshooting Problems? Ask a Mechanic Now.

My tractor is running very rich when throttled up

Customer Question
Submitted: 3 years ago.Category: Small Engine
6/17/2015
Technician: Ranwell1, Small Engine Technician replied 3 years ago
Ranwell1
Ranwell1, Small Engine Technician
First, you should check the air filter. if it is dirty then it will make it run rich.
Then check to make sure that the Choke is not sticking in the ON position.
Other than that, just about the only thing that will cause it to run ***** *****ke that is the carburetor. You most likely will have to rebuild the carburetor with a COMPLETE carburetor repair kit. It is most likely bypassing the float needle valve and flooding the engine.
If rebuilding the carburetor doesn't fix it , you may have to get a NEW carburetor.
Sometimes a blown head gasket will cause it to smoke like it is too rich, but that would be WHITE smoke and rich running would be BLACK smoke.
This may be a difficult issue to fix over the internet, but try these things and see what happens.
Feel free to contact me here anytime and I will be glad to try to help.
Please don't forget to give me a good rating as this is the only way that the site pays me for my time.
Good luck.
Have replaced needle valve and the float does not seem to be leaking or to heavy
If you did not replace the seat (if it has a replaceable seat) then it still may be leaking past it. If it does not have a replaceable seat, then you may have to replace the carburetor. But you are getting too much gas from someplace and the only place it can come from is the carburetor.