Small Engine

Small Engine Troubleshooting Problems? Ask a Mechanic Now.

4960 steers hard

Customer Question
screen in tras is clean...
4960 steers hard screen in tras is clean all other Hyd work good replaced bearing on top of metering valve seems to steer a little better a lower rpm
Submitted: 3 years ago.Category: Small Engine
6/17/2015
Technician: JDGuy7,
 replied 3 years ago
JDGuy7
Hey there lets see if I can help you with that. How responsive are the brakes?
Brakes work good push down about 1 to2" stops good
Technician: JDGuy7,
 replied 3 years ago
There are several things that could be causing your problem. 1st is pressure isn't high enough, or a hyd leak internally. That is why I asked about the brakes. They work simultaneously with the steering. So if the brakes are good the next thing to check is the steering valve.the steering valve is located under the hood and is bolted to the muffler pipe. Take off the plugs on each end of the valve and remove the steering valve inside. It should move very freely. If it is gauled up then the pressure from your steering motor isn't high enough to move it to actuate the steering. So is the steering valve gauled up. Is the valve easy to move? And if it is are there grooves worn onto the sides of the valve that are allowing the bypassing of oil?
I will check but I had both vale and steering meter apart and could not see any thing damaged
Technician: JDGuy7,
 replied 3 years ago
Next lets put a 3000lbs gauge in one of the scvs and see what your pressure is. Try several scvs and go with the highest pressure. Put the gauge in the scv with the highest pressure and activate it. Have the gauge turned so you can see it from the cab. See what happens to the pressure when you steer. What is the pressure before you steer and how far does it drop when you steer. If the pressure is 1950 or above and stays that way then the only thing left is the seals in the steering motor. That is a really big job. The whole front of the tractor must be taken apart and the front axle removed to take out the steering motor. Then it needs to be disassembled and rebuilt with new seals.