Rex L.
Rex L., Small Engine Technician
Experience:  auto-diesel graduate. small engine and John deere and silver certified in stihl.
34138167

How do I bleed the hydro pumps on a dixie chopper classics

Customer Question

How do I bleed the hydro pumps on a dixie chopper classics?
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Rex L. replied 2 years ago.

This is what I have done on certain models:

Here's the method for priming and bleeding the hydro system (an air compressor is required).

1. Jack up the tractor so both rear wheels are off the ground. Secure on jack stands.

2. In my case I have two return lines going from the coolers to the tank. Pinch off the side that you are not bleeding with vice grips (both the supply and return at the tank). Be sure not to puncture the lines.

3. Take the return line loose from the wheel motor. (This is the line that runs into the bottom of the cooler.) Place the end of the line in a bucket to save the hydro fluid that is lost during the bleeding procedure. Keep it very clean if to be used again.

4. Pinch off the return line between the cooler and the tank.

5. Now you can pressurize the tank with 5 psi through the neck vent on the tank. Be sure and hold down the rubber cork style cap so it doesn't blow off and hit you in the face.

6. Fluid will then pass through the pump (priming is now complete), then through the wheel motor and out the return line that you have in your drain bucket.

7. Once you have a good flow of fluid out the return, you can connect that side back up to the cooler.

8. Repeat for opposite side.

9. After both sides have been primed, start the engine and watch the fluid in the clear plastic return hose to make sure all air bubbles are gone BEFORE engaging the wheels.

10. After all air bubbles are gone from the return lines, cycle the wheels forward and back.

11. Set back down off of jack stands, and start mowing.

Hope this will help or if your not sure you can always take it to the dealer.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Same answer I found using google. I tried it and still not working.
Expert:  Rex L. replied 2 years ago.
Still must have an air lock in it somewhere make sure if you have bypass valves on your model that you closed them back up.