Small Engine

Small Engine Troubleshooting Problems? Ask a Mechanic Now.

Why does my Gravely ZT1944 constantly backfire and even shut…

Customer Question
Why does my Gravely ZT1944...
Why does my Gravely ZT1944 constantly backfire and even shut off sometimes. I just had it overhauled from where it was purchased. Thank you.
Submitted: 3 years ago.Category: Small Engine
6/16/2015
Technician: Curtis B., Technician replied 3 years ago
Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Welcome to JUST ANSWER small engines, let me try to help you !! What is the engine model number? 19 hp Briggs? Backfiring is sign a valve is open when the spark occurs. Either valve needs adjustment or the valve is leaking!
The engine is a 19 hp Kohler
Kohler model number? CH, CV, SV, K series? Have you checked the compression and the valves for sticking?