Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  have worked on and around most engine models for 35 yrs./Polaris ATV expert
30244710

I re built a 11hp briggs and stratton with a vertical shaft.

Customer Question

I re built a 11hp briggs and stratton with a vertical shaft. I lined up the marks on the gears. It won't start, The spark plug gets plenty of spark and its getting gas. Why won't it start"
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 2 years ago.
Welcome to JUST ANSWER small engines, let me try to help you !! Is the flywheel timing key ok? Not sheared? It is the second timing of the engine. Do you have compression? Hold finger with rag over the spark plug hole and see if it has enough compression to move your finger. If not, check the valves, did you reset them? What happened to the engine that you had to time the gears?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I rebuilt the engine, new piston and rings, new valves. I checked the compression and there was none. I took the head off and the piston and valves were working. It looks like one valve is not closing all the way. how do I clean the the block around the valves? This is the first time I have rebuilt a engine.
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 2 years ago.
You would clean the block / valve seats with a wire brush, and the valves should have been lapped into the seats before you installed the cylinder head.To adjust these valves you have to grind off the ends of the valve stems!