Donald
Donald, Small Engine Technician
Experience:  I have 25+ years of experience repairing 2 & 4 cycle engines
72377906

When i engage my mower deck the lawnmower kills also now when

Customer Question

when i engage my mower deck the lawnmower kills also now when i rise off the seat the machine does not shut off
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Donald replied 2 years ago.
Hello and thank you for choosing Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I will do my very best to get you the answer you need to your question.
If you release your brake pedal, to drive your mower, will your engine shut off, or only when you attempt to engage your blades? What are the model numbers for your mower?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I can drive the mower but can't engage blade itwill shut of it is a troy bilt co horse
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Xp horse
Expert:  Donald replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for this information. There are some numbers under your seat, I will need in order to pull up your mower.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
13wx79kt066. 1c262b50118
Expert:  Donald replied 2 years ago.
Thank you. I will pull up a wiring diagram.
Expert:  Donald replied 2 years ago.
Check your seat safety switch, and the wiring connector that attaches to it. Your kill circuit originates at your seat safety switch, then goes in and out of your pto safety switch, then to your ignition coil to shut your engine down.
If the circuit in your seat safety switch does not open, when you are sitting on your seat, then your engine will shut down when you attempt to engage your blades.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Ok will check tommorow thanks
Expert:  Donald replied 2 years ago.
Very good! I will attach an image for you, if you can give me just a minute.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thanks
Expert:  Donald replied 2 years ago.
Click on the link to open image.
Expert:  Donald replied 2 years ago.
I have outlined it for you. Notice that, in order for your engine to shut off, when you attempt to engage your blades, your seat switch must close your ground path.
Expert:  Donald replied 2 years ago.
This means that you have a faulty seat safety switch, a faulty seat safety switch connector, or a shorted wire, leading to your pto safety switch.