Small Engine

Small Engine Troubleshooting Problems? Ask a Mechanic Now.

I have a Simplicity Regent; Purchased in 2005 (10 yrs). Late…

Customer Question
I have a Simplicity Regent...
I have a Simplicity Regent; Purchased in 2005 (10 yrs). Late last summer I had it thoroughly gone over, Replaced worn parts, lubed, tuned-up, oil change, even new tires and belts. It ran like brand new, I love this tractor; however, the second time I used it, the mower blade belt broke. The dealer no longer sells Simplicity, but said he could get a belt. He necer did. This spring, he said he would and have it in two to four days - it's been three months and still no belt. I will have to order myself; but since it had been sittin over winter for seven months, I wanted to crank it and use to pull a small trailer for yard clean-up. I put a new battery in it two days ago and started to crank. Full choke - no crank. High trottle - starts to crank, but I have to lower trottle to about 1/3rd for it to crank...any higher it dies. Also, White smoke comes out the exhaust pipe, and it won't run until it cools off. What could be the problem?
Submitted: 3 years ago.Category: Small Engine
6/13/2015
Technician: Curtis B., Technician replied 3 years ago
Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Welcome to JUST ANSWER small engines, let me try to help you !! What engine is this? Model number? Briggs? Remove spark plug and see if the spark plug is fouled from oil. Spin engine with plug out, and see if any oil blows from cylinder. If it does, use carburetor cleaner sprayed into the cylinder to flush it out and clean it. Then install new spark plug and see if it will run. If it has oil in the exhaust, it will burn out quickly and then quit smoking.
Briggs & Stratton Model Series 10A900, 15 HP
OK, then do the spark plug test as outlined above. And with deck number off the unit. we could find you the right belt for it.
Deck No.(###) ###-#### ***** # ***** 38 inch deck
I have dear friends(of 46 years) 57 miles away, she 83 and he 87, married 67 years in one week. I keep the tractor at their house (so I don't have to transport it back and forth) and I go down each week and maintain their property, so I am not able to get to the tractor at this moment.
1/2 X 90 inch belt,(###) ###-####M simplicity number Do a google search, I see them all over ,Including Ebay.
Thanks, ***** *****'ll do this when I go back in a few days. I'm 68 yrs myself, but love working outside. Again, give me a few days. God Bless.
Your just a spry 68, I'm 69! I try to keep my hand in too!