Small Engine

Small Engine Troubleshooting Problems? Ask a Mechanic Now.

Toro Groundmaster with Ford 4cyl. gas engine loses power after…

Customer Question
Toro Groundmaster with Ford 4cyl...
Toro Groundmaster with Ford 4cyl. gas engine loses power after running for a while. Acts like it's running out of fuel - even when tank is full.
Submitted: 3 years ago.Category: Small Engine
Answered in 1 day by:
6/13/2015
Technician: Curtis B., Technician replied 3 years ago
Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Welcome to JUST ANSWER small engines, let me try to help you !! Carburetor or fuel injected? Have you checked the output from the electric fuel pump to the engine? If fuel injected, what is the fuel pressure at the fuel rail? Needs to be about 40 psi.
All fuel issues have been explored. Engine is 1984 - carb. engine. Not fuel injected. Thinking a sensor is cutting fuel supply when enginge is is hot and running at rated rpm under load ? Happens even going down hill ! With a light load !
This mower is north of $6'000 dollars even today. We have to figure out what it's issue is !
On that year model, there should be no sensors that would cut power back. You say all fuel issues have been explored? Have you ran a test line from the fuel pump inlet into a fuel container and ran test with tank and outlet hoses bypassed? What about ignition? Have you ran a compression test? Is the governor at the carburetor fully open? Has carburetor been removed and cleaned?
Engine runs at rated rpm when temps. are cool. Problem occurs in warm and or 70+ temps. Ignition system has been completely gone over and checks out. Will mickey mouse a gas can on mower and try that. Thinking of maybe even running an electric fuel pump and completely bypass the Ford mechanical pump. Any other ideas on things to check ? Thank you in advance if you can think of any other areas we can check.
Fuel line not near exhaust , that would cause vapor lock? Try the fuel tank, ten electric pump. Let me know. Thanks.
Will do - Thanks
OK, thanks.