Rex L.
Rex L., Small Engine Technician
Experience:  auto-diesel graduate. small engine and John deere and silver certified in stihl.
34138167

I have Bobcat zero turn mower with a 19hp Kawasaki FH601V engine on it. It will stall

Customer Question

I have Bobcat zero turn mower with a 19hp Kawasaki FH601V engine on it. It will stall after mowing for 20-30 minutes as if it is running out of fuel. It will restart if I choke it as if it is cold and will run for another short period before stalling again. I also notice that the fuel filter has no fuel in it when it stalls but after sitting for a few minutes, will fill up about half way.
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Rex L. replied 2 years ago.
Try checking your fuel cap. the fuel tank must be able to breather or it will create a vacuum and will not let fuel pump. Also if there is any dirt in the tank it can plug up the pickup tube in the tank.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I've done that. It has two tanks and will stall with either one.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Besides, that wouldn't explain having to choke it to restart.
Expert:  Rex L. replied 2 years ago.
take the line off either at carb or at fuel pump on carb side and see when you crank the engine if it is pumping plenty of fuel. This should tell you which side from the pump to start at. Either carb side or tank side. Hopefully the is not debre in the tank switching valve. You can take compressed air to fuel line on tank side of fuel filter and blow back into tanks just make sure to remove fuel cap.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
OK, I'll try that.
Expert:  Rex L. replied 2 years ago.
ok