Small Engine

Small Engine Troubleshooting Problems? Ask a Mechanic Now.

Small Engine

Troy Built Power Washer with Briggs & Stratton 12T402 0213

Customer Question
motor: - checked oil before use -...
Troy Built Power Washer with Briggs & Stratton 12T402 0213 motor:
- checked oil before use
- had fresh fuel
- followed proper starting procedures, making sure hoses were secure and water running
- quit after 10-15 minutes of use
- after it stopped, pulling the crank was very tough
- I then let the motor rest for 20-30 minutes, shut water off, and relieved the water pressure
- repeated the proper starting sequence. pulling the crank was a little easier. the motor would sputter... sometimes it would run for a minute but then fail again.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Small Engine
6/10/2015
Technician: Jeremy R., Technician replied 2 years ago
Jeremy R.
Jeremy R., Technician
Hi, My name is***** you for letting me try and assist you with your problem.
Since it still has issues with no water pressure that tells me the engine is shot.
Typically it's the rod bearing on the crank that goes bad and makes it hard to turn over.
The water pressure just makes it harder.
Sorry for the bad news but that's what it sounds like from what you're saying.
Hi Jeremy, That's what I was afraid of. To make matters worse, I borrowed the p/w from my friend. My un-luck, it just happened to break under my watch. I will offer to repair or replace the unit for my buddy... the friendship is more important than the cost. In the meantime:-- Are their any steps I should take to see if it will run? (perhaps change the oil, and refill EXACTLY to manufacturers specification?)-- I know that the water must be flowing through the p/w when the motor is in use or else the unit could be damaged. However, should I crank the engine with the spay nozzle open in order to relieve pressure in the pump and allow the engine to crank?-- Do you know if the Briggs & Stratton 12T402 0213 engine has a plastic cam shaft and timing gear? I researched this, and found that to be the case with some of the models. If true, I may advise my buddy avoid that brand.Thanks again Jeremy!
I wouldn't waste my time trying to start it. It's not going to be any better on it's own.
Yes almost every engine made now days has plastic parts inside. It's not something you can avoid without spending into the thousands on a motor.
My recommendation to your buddy is find one with a Honda engine.
Jeremy R.
Jeremy R.
Jeremy R., Technician