Briggs-Fan
Briggs-Fan, Small Engine Technician
Experience:  over 15 years experience in small engine repair, multiple certifications
75998144

I have a zero turn mower that will not start. I tried siphoning the fuel tank to no avail

Customer Question

I have a zero turn mower that will not start. I tried siphoning the fuel tank to no avail. Can you tell me how to remove the fuel tank? Or where I can find the information?
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Briggs-Fan replied 2 years ago.
Hi my name is ***** ***** welcome to just answer. Is the gas in it old ? , if so you can remove the hose to the carburetor or at the fuel pump and drain it , then drain the carburetor bowl and you should have the bad fuel out
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I haven't gotten back to it yet. Tomorrow I should be able to.
Thanks for checkin in
Ok I'll wait till I hear back from you
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

All the fuel doesn't come out of the tank. I emptied the bowl of the carborator. It was dry, the mower has been sitting a while. There was dried up crud in it. So how do I get the gas out of the very bottom?

One option is a siphon hand pump , another is pull the fuel line from the tank of its accessible
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I got the rest of the gas out and put in some fresh gas. still won't start. It will run a few seconds when I spray carborator cleaner in it. This is the same problem I had before the fresh gas.

It's the carburetor, most likely is gummed up or has bad gas in it , what engine does it have ?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

It is a Kohler Courage Pro SV740

Here is the service manual , most likely the carburetor needs to be removed and cleaned
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&ei=W3GEVYqkDoydNo7WgOgD&url=http://www.kohlerengines.com/onlinecatalog/pdf/sm_32_690_01.pdf&ved=0CCgQFjAA&usg=AFQjCNEfD2jRHlj1J28IGpE16SngPlxdIg
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Yes I have the service manual. How do you clean the carborator?

Page 22 on the service manual has the breakdown of the carburetor, you will have one of the two types of carburetors shown , the one to the left I would loosen the bow bolt which is part m . The one to the right you will have to remove the carburetor and the the screws holding that bolt on
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Ok I have it off.. Now what?

What am I looking for?

Did you drain the bad gas in the bowl , which type carb do you have
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I did empty the bowl on the carburetor, It had dried gunk in it. It was gritty like sand. I the carburetor appears to be a keihin.

Ok the main jets are f and d on the diagram , make sure those are clear also spray out the ports in the carburetor body
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Ok I removed and sprayed the carburetor. Put it back in and the mower still wont start.

How old is the gas your using ? It hasn't tried to start or even sputter since it died right ? . If not we need to check for spark
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

The gas is new. The only time it sputtered was when I sprayed the carburetor cleaner in it. sputters for a split sec.

We are going to have to look further into it because a motor needs 3 things to run . Spark, fuel and compression , if you cleaned the carb and the Jets and the bowl is filling up with gas it's getting fuel , if it sputtered it should have spark but I would test it , if it has spark the next thing I'd check is if a push rod bent etc
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I got the mower to turn over a few times. It runs for a couple of sec's and shuts down.

At this point it could be the carb is bad or the fuel pump but it Def sounds like a fuel issue