Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  have worked on and around most engine models for 35 yrs./Polaris ATV expert
30244710

Rear wheels locked on a hardly used lawn tractor. No will

Customer Question

rear wheels locked on a hardly used lawn tractor. No will come out to service. How can we getget to be serviced unless something drops out of the sky to pick it up.
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 2 years ago.
Welcome to JUST ANSWER small engines, let me try to help you !! Model number did not show. If this is Troybilt rider mower the brakes are likely locked. Does the engine start and run, the mower just won't move? And will not roll in freewheel position? Then the brakes are locked. The typical mower will have a mechanical disc brake, just ahead of the right rear tire on the side of the transmission, at the end of the brake linkage. To loosen the brake, just loosen the two bolts holding the brake caliper, the tap on the brake , it should free up and mower should move. Use WD-40 to spray the brake and linkage , and tighten the two bolts back up. That should get it going!
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
The engine will not start either. It is dead. Sereal # ***** ***** Model # ***** ***** WM77K5011. Tried a new battery, still would do nothing. Will try what you told me. Why should I have to deal with this when it is still in warenty? A tecnition who works on lawn mowers came out and looked at the mower and his reply was "factory malfunction". What do you think? I am paying you to help me through this ordeal.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
The fly wheel is also locked. It will not move . The new battery will not turn the flywheel. Is the piston locked in the cylinder?
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 2 years ago.
If the flywheel does not turn, the engine is locked! I assume it is full of oil? Remove the spark plug or plugs if twin engine and see if the engine will turn. There may be fluid on top of piston!