Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  have worked on and around most engine models for 35 yrs./Polaris ATV expert
30244710

I have a Wildcat mower and yesterday while mowing the

Customer Question

I have a Scag Wildcat mower and yesterday while mowing the engine shut down. I disengaged the PTO switch and started the engine, but when I engaged the PTO the engine shut down again. I then turned the ignition switch on, but didn't start the engine, but I engage the PTO and heard a definite click by turning the PTO switch on an off.
I checked the clutch clearance gap and it is set at .015 inch as per the manual. Battery voltage increase slightly when I turn the ignition on.
I also removed the spark plugs from the engine and with the both the ignition switch and PTO switch on and tried to rotate the mower blades with a wrench. The mower belt would slip slightly, but the pulley would not move under these conditions.
Any help is much appreciated.
Tony
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 2 years ago.
Welcome to JUST ANSWER small engines, let me try to help you !! With everything off, if the mower deck pulleys won't turn , you have a bearing out in the deck. The electric pto seems to be working, so problem would be with the deck blades and pulley spindles. They should turn with little effort.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Curtis, I forgot to mention that I took the belt off of the pulleys to insure that none of the spindles were seized. Iput the belt back on and the PTO clutch would no move.
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 2 years ago.
With everything off, can you rotate the electric clutch?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
no
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 2 years ago.
So the clutch is locked up? You see no debris that would lock the clutch? If clutch bearing is out, the blades should be turning when you try to start the engine.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
No debris was in or near the clutch area. I can move the blades by hand with the belt in place, but only in one direction (clockwise) due to the belt slipping. When I try to move the blades in the opposite direction (counter clockwise) they will not turn due to the increased on the belt.
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 2 years ago.
We may be working on the wrong end of the horse! You may have a safety switch cutting the engine off when blades are engaged. Have you checked the seat switch and harness and other safety switches? If mower thinks there is no one in the seat, it cuts off when blades are engaged.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I checked the safety switches and they are all working. You have to be in the seat to start the mower. I was mowing when the problem presented itself, it made a screeching noise (belts slipping) and then the engine shut down. After turning off the PTO switch the mower starts, but shuts down as soon as to pull on the PTO.
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 2 years ago.
Take the belt off to the deck, then turn on the switch, to see if it is the clutch bound up.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
With the belt off the deck, the mower runs with the PTO switch on, but makes a lot of noise. I put the belt back on and get the previous conditions, ehgine shuts down when you engage the PTO.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I given the circumstances, it would appear that the clutch has to be replaced.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Curtis,Any further recommendations?
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 2 years ago.
With belt off and pto not engaged. and clutch does not turn . All you can do is remove the clutch and replace it!