Rex L.
Rex L., Small Engine Technician
Experience:  auto-diesel graduate. small engine and John deere and silver certified in stihl.
34138167

I have a JD 165 Hydro. After the winter it will not run right.

Customer Question

I have a JD 165 Hydro. After the winter it will not run right. Very rich. Back fires. I see fuel being blown back through the carb.????
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Rex L. replied 2 years ago.
If your sure it running rich then the needle and seat are not working right in the carb. the float should push up on the needle and shut fuel off. The float is what maintains the correct fuel level in the bowl. If the needle and seat are bad it still may not seal up and will load up with fuel. It is also possible the float is bad and sinking but normally if you shake it you can hear fuel in it if it is cracked. You may want to buy a rebuild kit or buy a new carb. Most of the time you are better off buying a new carb instead of the kit.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I am familiar with what you wrote in your response. I am thinking something else may be wrong. I am concerned that the compression I measured was 80 PSI. Most specs say it should be around 45. Also when I remove the carburator and cover the intake manifold with my hand I feel pressure coming out. Thoughts?
Expert:  Rex L. replied 2 years ago.
There is easy spin built in to engine for easier cranking and it may spit some fuel back till it starts. Or you could have an intake valve hanging open from sitting. compression at running would be around 145 to 155. most engine will start at 80 as the easy spin will let some compression go for starting. It is also possible you could have bent a push rod.