Ranwell1
Ranwell1, Small Engine Technician
Experience:  I Own a Lawn Mower Sales and service business (37years). Have 2-cycle and 4-cycle certification.
18770454

How do I stop gas from getting into the crankcase of my Briggs

Customer Question

How do I stop gas from getting into the crankcase of my Briggs Straton new caborator?
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Ranwell1 replied 2 years ago.
first you much change the oil and make sure that there is no gas in the oil.
Make sure that you have the EXACT amount of oil in the engine that it calls for. Do not OVERFILL it with oil.
MAke sure that there is no dirt or water in the carburetor or gas tank. IF you didn't;t completely clean the gas tank before you put the new carburetor on, then you likely have dirt in the new carburetor.
What causes the gas to get into the oil is that gas runs past the float needle and seat in the carburetor and passes through to the crankcase of the engine.
There is one other possibility and that is if you have a bad fuel pump it will pass fuel through the bad pump diaphram and into the crankcase of the engine filling it with gas. You may need a new fuel pump.
There are the ONLY two things that will cause gas to get into the oil.
Expert:  Ranwell1 replied 2 years ago.
Please give me a good rating as this is the only way the site pays me for my time.
LEt me know if you need more information and I will be happy to help further if I can.