Small Engine

Small Engine Troubleshooting Problems? Ask a Mechanic Now.

I have a John Deer Hydro 165. I have replace the key switch,

Customer Question
I have a John Deer...
I have a John Deer Hydro 165. I have replace the key switch, solenoid, checked fuses, battery charged adn 12.5 volts active.
Can't get it to turn over?
HELP?
Submitted: 3 years ago.Category: Small Engine
6/4/2015
Technician: Curtis B., Technician replied 3 years ago
Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Welcome to JUST ANSWER small engines, let me try to help you !! Do you have a voltmeter or test light to be sure the fuse id sending voltage to the key switch? Do you get any indication there is voltage at the keyswitch? With key on, will pto click when switch is pulled? If you go direct to the starter solenoid and jump it, does the engine spin?
I am getting 12 volts from the key switch and the starter on one side is getting the juice.. The other side is not even when I turn it over. FYi, I purchase the solonoid on line. The part numbers matched but the new one had one extra connection that I did not find a wire to connect.
###-##-####- Stephen
(###) ###-####
If you old solenoid had three terminals and the new one four, you need to ground the terminal that has nothing on it. The three terminal solenoid grounds through the mounting, the four terminal does not. Make a small wire to go from terminal to mounting bolt. That should get you going!
Great. Say a prayer for me. I have invested so much into this 1988 mower.
Let me know. thanks.