Hank F.
Hank F., Technician
Experience:  Certified on Onan and Generac generators
19372534

I have 4000 onan that dies when u let go of start switch i

Customer Question

i have 4000 onan that dies when u let go of start switch i bought oil switch but cant see it to change it.
Don
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Hank F. replied 2 years ago.
Hello!
My name is ***** ***** I am going to assist you with this.
That unit does not have a low oil level switch. I'm not sure why someone sold you one.
What fault code are you getting at the genset?
Go to the genset and use the switch on the set itself.
Press 'Stop' 3 times within 5 seconds. The light in the switch will start flashing.
If the light flashes 3 times, pauses for 3 seconds, and flashes 3 more times, press and immediately release 'Stop' one more time.
This will put the controller into Fault Read Mode.
The light will flash (X) number of times, pause for 1 second, and flash for (X) number of times again. Count the flashes before and after the pause.
This will be the Fault Code.
Example: 2 rapid flashes, 1 second pause, 5 rapid flashes is a Fault Code 25.
There may be more than one Fault Code stored, so watch the light very carefully. If there is more than one code, it will display them all in order, and then start over again.
Be very careful not to misread a first level fault code (single digit code) as a second level fault code (double digit code).
The way to tell the difference is by the length of the pauses.
There is a 1 second pause between digits of a second level code, and a 3 second pause between codes.
For example, if it is flashing 2 times, 1 second pause, flashing 2 times, 3 second pause and repeating, then this is a second level fault code of 22.
If it is flashing 2 times, 3 second pause, flashing 2 times, 3 second pause and repeating, then this is a first level fault code of 2.
What Fault Code are you getting?
.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I wasn't getting any default codes carb was gunted up but I have cleaned it
Expert:  Hank F. replied 2 years ago.
If the genset is shutting down, it is setting a code.
.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Okay I'll have to check for one I have unit out of trailer to clean it up and change fuel filter its out of a horse trailer could not do it with it in compatment
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thanks for your help. How offen do controllers take a dump. Unit is in an 2004 trailer
Expert:  Hank F. replied 2 years ago.
The controllers go bad occasionally, but they are far from the most common problem.
On this unit, a bad brush, rotor or stator are far more common.
.
Expert:  Hank F. replied 2 years ago.
Did you get the code yet?
.