Small Engine

Small Engine Troubleshooting Problems? Ask a Mechanic Now.

I have a Simplicity Broadmoor tractor with a new Vanguard VTwin…

Customer Question
I have a Simplicity Broadmoor...
I have a Simplicity Broadmoor tractor with a new Vanguard VTwin 18HP engine. The engine was replaced in october and was used during the winter with the snowthrower attachment to clear the driveway. Now that summer is here I have mounted the mower deck and started cutting grass. The mower runs fine for about 15 minutes then sputters. Then stops. If I let it sit for 15 minutes or so it will start again and run for a while then shut off. Is there some kind of thermal switch on this thing?
Submitted: 3 years ago.Category: Small Engine
6/3/2015
Technician: Curtis B., Technician replied 3 years ago
Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Welcome to JUST ANSWER small engines, let me try to help you !! Need to find what is killing the engine! Take a spare spark plug and when it quits, remove a spark plug wire and attach the spare spark plug, and with the spark plug grounded to the metal of the engine, crank and see if there is spark at the plug. If it has spark , we will assume it has lost fuel! What is the model number of the Briggs engine? Does it have an electric solenoid in the carburetor? This solenoid, if it has one, shuts off the fuel supply when the key is shut off, or if it looses voltage. It should click when you turn the key on and off. No click, no fuel! If it looses spark, then we need to look at the ignition system. To see if it has any safety switches, oil or temperature, I need the model number of the mower.
The mower is a Simplicity Broadmoor (that's the model) the Serial number is: (###) ###-#### ***** oil level is in the upper third of the stick (so there's plenty of oil). Again, if it sits for 15 minutes it runs fine for a short period of time.
The engine is a Vanguard Commercial Power 18HP engine (with about 14 hours on it). There is a black cylindrical object with a single wire coming off the bottom of the fuel bowl on the carburetor.
Simplicity makes various Broadmoor models, there is a number example(###) ###-#### ***** is the real model number! The object in the bottom of the carburetor is the anti-backfire solenoid that closes the main jet. Best test for it , is to remove it and plug the hole for test.
I believe this is a fuel issue, now. It just died in me three times yesterday as I was moving. I let it sit for 20 - 30 seconds then had to use full choke to start it but it did start! It ran for about 10 minutes then just shut off again. I did the same thing... Let it sit, then started with full choke. I was able to finish the lawn, finally.
What does it have for a fuel pump? Pulse pump or electric? And the solenoid in the carburetor may be the problem.
Curtis, I'm afraid I don't know the fuel pump type. How do I check the carburetor piece you refer to?
The solenoid needs to be removed, and the hole plugged, then run mower long enough to see if shuts off. If it continues and does not stop, the solenoid is overheating and killing the fuel supply by closing off the main jet. Foe engine to die, it has to lose spark or fuel, and with a twin engine, it is more likely the fuel, as it has two coils.
How do I remove the solenoid? There is a wire coming off the bottom. Can I just disconnect that?