Small Engine

Small Engine Troubleshooting Problems? Ask a Mechanic Now.

I have a Honda HRR2167VXA and it won't shut off when I put…

Customer Question
I have a Honda HRR2167VXA...
I have a Honda HRR2167VXA and it won't shut off when I put the throttle to stop. I have to pull the spark plug wire. It's starts right up with choke and I can easily control the engine RPMs but it won't turn off. What can I do to fix this?
Thanks
Submitted: 3 years ago.Category: Small Engine
6/2/2015
Technician: Curtis B., Technician replied 3 years ago
Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Welcome to JUST ANSWER small engines, let me try to help you !! The coil has to be shorted out , to kill the engine. Your kill switch is not making the connection, look for a loose wire or why the switch is not grounding the spark. The on/off switch has to ground the spark when it is turned off. In the off position, it should ground the wire coming from the engine, this is the wire that goes to the coil to kill the engine.
The throttle adjustment only controls the carburetor. I assumed the cable is just supposed to close off the fuel but it isn't. When I manually push on the carburetor on the engine it still doesn't stop the flow or shut the engine off. I assumed it was the idle or that it needed to be adjusted on the carburetor end. Is this not the case? If it is the case where can I adjust this?
The parts manual showed an on/of switch. ?? If it kills with the throttle, look at the lower linkage near the carburetor, there will be a wire that comes from the engine and goes to the throttle control there will be a sliding switch that has to make contact on the kill wire from the engine Wire may be off, or the switch may have been hit, but it is not making contact to kill the spark to the engine. It is not a throttle or idle adjustment!

Ok, I'll take a look at that when I get home. So you are saying there is a kill wire it isn't making good contact with.
Thanks,

yes, the coil has to be grounded to kill the spark.