Small Engine

Small Engine Troubleshooting Problems? Ask a Mechanic Now.

My 1993 club car will idle in gear but will not move - just…

Customer Question
my 1993 club car will...
my 1993 club car will idle in gear but will not move - just replaced the limiter and still have the same problem
Submitted: 3 years ago.Category: Small Engine
6/2/2015
Technician: Curtis B., Technician replied 3 years ago
Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Welcome to JUST ANSWER small engines, let me try to help you !! Engine runs? does it rev up or just idles? If it revs up, is the drive belt in place? Is the clutch closing down on the drive belt?
just idles
My guess the engine is only being spun by the starter/generator and is not starting. If you remove a spark plug and ground it, do you have spark when cranking? Do you have gas getting to the carburetor? Is this the pulse fuel pump or an electric fuel pump.?
i can smell gas but i do not have a spark when it is grounded
tried the spark plug in the riding mower - it works fine - do I have a bad spark plug wire?
It has a coil and an igniter, that can keep it from having spark, but it also has a micro switch that kills the spark when the pedal comes up to idle. This micro switch may be killing the spark. Located in the compartment with the starter solenoid and throttle cable.
all 4 micro switches are brand new
Replaced because of this? Locate the kill micro and remove the wire that goes to the engine. Then see if you have spark.
not sure what the kill micro is
not sure what the kill micro is
tried removing both - one at a time and still no spark
not sure what the kill micro is
both wires to the kill micro that is
Then it has to be the ignition system. Coil or igniter.