Small Engine

Small Engine Troubleshooting Problems? Ask a Mechanic Now.

The PTO won't engage on my ZTL 8000 Craftsman mower

Customer Question
Submitted: 3 years ago.Category: Small Engine
6/1/2015
Technician: Curtis B., Technician replied 3 years ago
Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Welcome to JUST ANSWER small engines, let me try to help you !! Do you have a voltmeter or a test light to see if the pto switch has battery voltage? The switch has to have power, it then closes the pto relay, which powers the pto clutch. Has nothing to do with any of the other switches!
don't have any electrical test equipment
I assume the mower starts without having to use jump start or battery charger, as the clutch has to have a full 12 volts. Without test equipment I'm not sure how to progress. You could test the electric clutch by going direct to it, from the battery with two jumper wires to see if the magnet will close. Engine and switch does not even have to be on Check the wires around the clutch for damage, as it is in area that gets lots of debris.
Where do I attach the jumpers on the clutch and will it open back up after it is tested? If I can get a voltmeter, how do I test the switch?
The clutch will have two wires, it does not matter which jumper goes to. It is an electro magnet, as soon as you take wire off it will retract. As for voltmeter, red lead is for test, black lead is for ground. You want to test the wire harness at the switch for battery voltage.