Rex L.
Rex L., Small Engine Technician
Experience:  auto-diesel graduate. small engine and John deere and silver certified in stihl.
34138167

We have a 2006 john deere lawn tractor 534x 4 wheel steer.

Customer Question

we have a 2006 john deere lawn tractor 534x 4 wheel steer. the mower runs 5 minutes starts running bad you can choke it and it will run another 5 minutes before it kills. this is what we have done trying to fix it, removed gas from tank and put fresh gas (non-ethenal). fuel pump, air filter, fuel filter, fuel line from fuel filter to pump, oil and oil filter, spark plugs, and cleaned motor fan.
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Rex L. replied 2 years ago.
Take the fuel line off fuel pump on carb side and crank engine to make sure it has a good flow. Catch gas in a container. If you have good flow there then the carb is plugged up. carb will need taken apart and cleaned, The jets can get plugged up and not allowing fuel through the carb. When you run it on choke it restricts the air and makes it run on less fuel. If flow is good to carb then carb is most likely your problem especially if engine has sat for a period of time.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
thank you for your help! we thought that was problem but wanted another opinion before going into the carb. when do I score the stars after we fix it or now
Expert:  Rex L. replied 2 years ago.
That is your choice.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
that did not fix it.
Expert:  Rex L. replied 2 years ago.
When you cleaned the carb did you make sure the fuel solenoid is working on the bottom of carb.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
we don't know how to check to see if that works. all wires to it are ok.
Expert:  Rex L. replied 2 years ago.
You can take it out and plug wires back in then turn key to run and see if tip moves in. Or you may be able to hear it click when you turn key to run.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
the fuel solenoid works just fine.
Expert:  Rex L. replied 2 years ago.
I would say u still have something stopping the flow of gas if you can choke it to make it run a little longer. You can take the fuel line off at fuel filter and blow backwards towards tank to make sure pickup tube is not plugged. Check your fuel filter also. Most filters have an arrow on them for direction of flow.
Expert:  Rex L. replied 2 years ago.
Just wondering if you got it fixed.
Please rate my response.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
we found the problem! the new fuel pump was broken. ha all this headache and the new part broken. this was the first part we changed.
Expert:  Rex L. replied 2 years ago.
Glad you found your problem. wouldn't expect new part to be bad.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
me either!! it was straight from john deere!!
Expert:  Rex L. replied 2 years ago.
Ok . Have a good day