Small Engine

Small Engine Troubleshooting Problems? Ask a Mechanic Now.

We have a 2006 john deere lawn tractor 534x 4 wheel steer.

Customer Question
we have a 2006 john...
we have a 2006 john deere lawn tractor 534x 4 wheel steer. the mower runs 5 minutes starts running bad you can choke it and it will run another 5 minutes before it kills. this is what we have done trying to fix it, removed gas from tank and put fresh gas (non-ethenal). fuel pump, air filter, fuel filter, fuel line from fuel filter to pump, oil and oil filter, spark plugs, and cleaned motor fan.
Submitted: 3 years ago.Category: Small Engine
Answered in 1 hour by:
5/31/2015
Technician: Rex L., Small Engine Technician replied 3 years ago
Rex L.
Rex L., Small Engine Technician
Take the fuel line off fuel pump on carb side and crank engine to make sure it has a good flow. Catch gas in a container. If you have good flow there then the carb is plugged up. carb will need taken apart and cleaned, The jets can get plugged up and not allowing fuel through the carb. When you run it on choke it restricts the air and makes it run on less fuel. If flow is good to carb then carb is most likely your problem especially if engine has sat for a period of time.
thank you for your help! we thought that was problem but wanted another opinion before going into the carb. when do I score the stars after we fix it or now
That is your choice.
that did not fix it.
When you cleaned the carb did you make sure the fuel solenoid is working on the bottom of carb.
we don't know how to check to see if that works. all wires to it are ok.
You can take it out and plug wires back in then turn key to run and see if tip moves in. Or you may be able to hear it click when you turn key to run.
the fuel solenoid works just fine.
I would say u still have something stopping the flow of gas if you can choke it to make it run a little longer. You can take the fuel line off at fuel filter and blow backwards towards tank to make sure pickup tube is not plugged. Check your fuel filter also. Most filters have an arrow on them for direction of flow.
Just wondering if you got it fixed.
Please rate my response.
we found the problem! the new fuel pump was broken. ha all this headache and the new part broken. this was the first part we changed.
Glad you found your problem. wouldn't expect new part to be bad.
me either!! it was straight from john deere!!
Ok . Have a good day