Small Engine

Small Engine Troubleshooting Problems? Ask a Mechanic Now.

Honda em 4000 generator runs fine, but has not elec. at ou…

Customer Question
Honda em 4000 generator runs...
Honda em 4000 generator runs fine, but has not elec. at outlet.
Submitted: 3 years ago.Category: Small Engine
5/31/2015
Technician: timoto, Technician replied 3 years ago
timoto
timoto, Technician
Here is a parts diagram for reference: http://www.boats.net/parts/search/Honda/Generator/0/EM4000%20A/BRUSH%20HOLDER/parts.htmlThe first thing to check is the brushes. The brush holder is part #5 in the diagram. Remove the brush holder assembly. Inspect the condition of the individual brushes. They should be clean, evenly worn with no damage, they should be equal length with good spring pressure. Inspect the condition of the slip ring surface for defects. Clean the slip ring surface by removing the sparkplug, turn the rotor with a ratchet while holding a scotchbrite against the sliprings on the rotor to polish the surface to a shiny copper finish. Use a multimeter to test the resistance of the slip rings, it should be about 50 ohms. If good, spray the brushes and slip rings with electrical cleaner then reassemble and check for output.