Rex L.
Rex L., Small Engine Technician
Experience:  auto-diesel graduate. small engine and John deere and silver certified in stihl.
34138167

I am rebuilding an hh70 tec, I have a new piston head from

Customer Question

I am rebuilding an hh70 tec, I have a new piston head from an h70 kit, they look almost the same except the hh70 has a u shaped skirt. Will the h70 one work in the hh70,
Category: Small Engine
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
the connecting rod on my hh70 broke but thankfully it did not do any damage. to case. have all new parts like I said from an h70 rebuild kit, the guy I talked to about the kit said that everything would be the same, however he was not sure about the piston. once I got the old one out it looks in good shape other than some carbon build up and needs new rings as it was burning a lot of oil. but if the piston from the h70 will work I'd rather put in new. like I said they are same diameter just that the older one from the hh70 has a little extra skirt. than the new one. will this make any difference
Expert:  Rex L. replied 2 years ago.
You need to measure the top of the piston to the wrist pin with calipers. if it is taller it may hit the head. If it is less then you will lose horsepower. These do call for different part numbers. Also check wrist pin diameter. Another check is to make sure skirt on piston is not to long if it is to long it could hit the rod when crank is at 90 degrees from top dead center. If you check over with calipers and measures the same then you should be alright.