Donald
Donald, Small Engine Technician
Experience:  I have 25+ years of experience repairing 2 & 4 cycle engines
72377906

1050 LTX 2012 model. no tension on mower belt

Customer Question

Category: Small Engine
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I have replaced the belt numerous times. the pulleys on the back were replaced last year by service tech. When I put on the belt today and ran it there was little tension on the belt. Do the pulleys on the back go past the back bracket they are on?
Expert:  Donald replied 2 years ago.
Hello and thank you for choosing Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I will do my very best to get you the answer you need to your question.
Can you get the model numbers from under your seat for me?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
model # ***** SERIAL # *****
Expert:  Donald replied 2 years ago.
I was unable to pull up your mower with the numbers you posted. Can you double check your model numbers?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
13WQ91AP056 MODEL #
SERIAL # *****
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
CUB CADET 1050 LTX BUILT 03/2012
Expert:  Donald replied 2 years ago.
Thank you. That worked for me. I will attach an image for you. It will not take very long.
Expert:  Donald replied 2 years ago.
Please take a look at the image I attached for you.
Expert:  Donald replied 2 years ago.
Click on the link to view it.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
THAT IS IT. WHEN I HOOK UP BELT THERE IS NO TENSION ON BELT.
Expert:  Donald replied 2 years ago.
In the image, you will see your idler bracket. Check to see if your idler bracket pivots freely, back and forth, on your shoulder spacer. If is your idler bracket is partially seizing or binding, this can prevent your belt from being as tight as it needs to be.
Expert:  Donald replied 2 years ago.
Your idler bracket has a spring, and an idler pulley bolted to it. These three parts are responsible for keeping your belt tight at all times.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
YES IT PIVOTS FREELY. THE BOLT ON THE 55 PULLEY RUNS THROUGH THE PULLEY AND I CAN HAVE IT EITHER IN FRONT OR BEHIND THE IDLER BRACKET.
Expert:  Donald replied 2 years ago.
Do you use your mower on a regular basis?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
YES WEEKLY
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
TIRED OF SPENDING $50 FOR BELTS ABOUT 5 TIMES A YEAR.
Expert:  Donald replied 2 years ago.
Are you using OEM belts? I am assuming that you are routing your belt correctly.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
OEM BELTS? I BUY THEM FROM HOME DEPOT WHERE I BOUGHT THE RIDER. YES ROUTING CORRECTLY. HERE IS A TYPICAL YEAR, I GO THROUGH 4 OR 5 BELTS BEFORE ONE LAST ME THE REST OF THE YEAR. I BELIEVE I INSTALL THEM ALL THE SAME.
Expert:  Donald replied 2 years ago.
Thanks for this information. I would like to confirm something. You have put on a new belt, and the new belt is too loose (no tension), to spin your blades as normal?? Please keep in mind, that my questions are for troubleshooting purposes only.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
YEP. THERE IS NO KICK IN WHEN THE PTO IS ENGAGED. THE BLADES TURN LIKE I AM CONSTANTLY DRIVING IN VERY TALL GRASS. IS THERE A DIFFERENCE IN BELTS?
Expert:  Donald replied 2 years ago.
As long as you are using OEM belts, with the correct part numbers, your belt is okay? Take a look at part #51 in the image. Are these the pulleys that your service tech replaced for you?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
HE REPLACED THE PULLEYS ON THE IDLER BRACKET. NOT THOSE. HOW SHOULD THE IDLER ARM BRACKET GOING TO THE SPRING BE SITUATED? SHPOULD IT BE STRAIGHT IN LINE WITH SPRING TO BOLT HOLDING SPRING OR TO THE RIGHT OR LEFT?
Expert:  Donald replied 2 years ago.
Take a look at this image.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
THAT IS NOT MY DECK.
Expert:  Donald replied 2 years ago.
That does not match your deck? Let me check again.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I BELIEVE THAT IS THE RETRO TO THE MY DECK AFTER 2012
Expert:  Donald replied 2 years ago.
My manual does not show another LTX Series deck. I would like to make some suggestion for you.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
MY MACHINE WAS BUILT IN MARCH OF 2012
Expert:  Donald replied 2 years ago.
I suggest that your remove your deck from your mower, and remove your deck belt. Spin each one of your three Spindle Assemblies by hand. Listen for a worn, partially seizing, or noisy bearing. Spin both of your idler pulleys by hand, and make the same observations. Also observe, to see if your belt is running deeper inside each of your three spindle pulleys, and your pto clutch pulley. If your pulleys are worn in the inner running surfaces, this will cause your belt to be looser than usual.
Expert:  Donald replied 2 years ago.
Worn bearings and pulleys, will cause your belt to wear prematurely ...
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I WILL TRY TOMORROW
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I DON'T HAVE TO REMOVE BELT IT BROKE TODAY.
Expert:  Donald replied 2 years ago.
I believe you will find something wrong, when you try my suggestions on tomorrow. This is what I would do, if I was actually, physically working with your mower. Keep me posted on your progress.
Expert:  Donald replied 2 years ago.
After three years, it will not be unusual to find a worn bearing, or pulley on your deck.