Small Engine

Small Engine Troubleshooting Problems? Ask a Mechanic Now.

Troy -bilt model 020293 pressure washer shut down after 15…

Customer Question
troy -bilt model 020293 pressure...
troy -bilt model 020293 pressure washer shut down after 15 minutes of use. It will start, but when I squeeze the trigger, the unit shuts right down. Gas, oil, and air filter are fine. One site said I may have an unloader problem.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Small Engine
Answered in 1 day by:
5/31/2015
Technician: Frank, Small Engine Tech replied 2 years ago
Frank
Frank, Small Engine Tech
Actually the most common cause to this issue, is a clogged primary jet in your carburetor. While no pressure is building, there is no load on the engine, therefor the little fuel that's in the carburetor bowl is enough to keep engine running. But once a load is put on the engine, the governor kicks in to maintain original rpms, requiring more fuel. If the fuel can't keep up, the unit stalls out.
Doesnt mean that you don't have a problem with your unloader as you said someone had mentioned,but the most common is a fuel issue. Even a fuel cap that's not venting properly can cause this by vacuum pressure building in the tank, delaying fuel flow. You can easily check this by just leaving the fuel cap loose.
But I'd definitely remove the carburetor, disassemble it and clean every orifice thoroughly. Along with checking fuel flow from tank to the carb.
Other scenarios could be too tight of valve clearance, but not as common. Also,
look at the pump on this unit and make sure there is no oil leak anywhere.
And just to be safe pull the spark plug out and analyze the threaded end. Make sure it's not black with carbon, and gapped properly.
Frank, the engine is definitely not the problem. The engine runs great, but there's something to do with the pumping action that is causing the engine to shut down. 3 weeks ago, I pressure washed the entire deck around my 18 x 33 above ground pool with no problem. the other day, I was in the process of repeating it. 15 to 20 minutes into the cleaning, the unit abruptly shut down. I pulled the cord a number of times and the engine started on the first pull and shut down immediately. I had to relieve the pressure on the hose prior to pulling the cord, thus, the pump appears to be functioning well. I loosened the gas cap and started the unit. This time, it it continually downloaded hot water, and squeezing the trigger produced no pressurized water. The other day when I got the motor running and knew the unit had pressure, when I squeezed the trigger, the unit immediately shut down. I've learned a lot about my Troy-Bilt washer the last few days, and it seems to me that the pressurized water is not circulating in between trigger pulls. Briggs and Stratton engines are beasts and over the many years, I've had everything around the engines fall apart, and the engine still going strong. I replaced the pump on this about five years ago due to my neglect for winterizing the pump in the fall.
Ok.
Well here is a link to what the unloader valve looks like. You can try loosening this on your unit.
It's built onto the outlet of the manifold.
Here is an illustrated parts list of your pump where you can see the location of the valve.
http://www.ereplacementparts.com/troybilt-0202930-2550-psi-pressure-washer-parts-c-26780_27006_25642.html
Let me know your results!
Frank, do think this might be the problem, and can it be cleaned or should it be replaced?
Well like I said, most common is fuel issue. But unloader issues exist too. You sound confident about your motor, so doesn't hurt to try the unloader. Purge any air or of your system by having unit off and holding trigger until a constant stream comes out and no hissing or bubbling.
You can either remove it completely to check for gunk or damage
You can either remove the unloader completely to check for gunk or damage, but keep track of how many full rotations it takes to unscrew as yours may be set at a certain tolerance. If everything looks good re install, test it. If it still died the same thing, back out the unloader a revolution or 2 then test. Note any differences. Continue until you've either fixed the issue or can no longer safely keep the valve loose in the manifold. There are videos of this on you tube, but I have bad service where I am otherwise I'd give you links. You can just search "pressure washer unloader repair" and should turn up.
Frank
Frank
Frank, Small Engine Tech