Small Engine

Small Engine Troubleshooting Problems? Ask a Mechanic Now.

Troy Built 4 cycle blower won't start. Gas line is connected,

Customer Question
Troy Built 4 cycle blower...
Troy Built 4 cycle blower won't start. Gas line is connected, primer bulb works, fills return line to tank. Spark plug is fine. It will run if I squirt small amounts of carb start into it, so it's not a coil/spark-plug problem. Seems like it's not getting any gas, but I can't tell how. Any ideas?
Submitted: 3 years ago.Category: Small Engine
Answered in 1 day by:
5/31/2015
Technician: Ranwell1, Small Engine Technician replied 3 years ago
Ranwell1
Ranwell1, Small Engine Technician
The most likely problem is that the carburetor is restricted with gum or dirt. The carburetor will need to be cleaned and rebuilt with a complete carburetor repair kit.
This problem usually happens after the unit is stored with gas left in the tank and carburetor. Gas cannot be used if it is over 30 days old and it cannot be left in the unit for more than 30 days at a time before it gums up the carburetor.
Clean the carburetor and you will most likely will solve your problem.
Please leave a good rating for me as this is the only way this site pays me for my time.
IF you need more help, please contact me here and I will be glad to assist you further.
Disassembed the carb, cleaned all the parts with carb cleaner, cleaned the needle, etc.. reassembed and it still has the same issue. Will run as long as I squirt carb start in the air cleaner, but won't on its own. Tempted to throw the stupid thing in the trash.
you did not replace the diaphrams in the carburetor, it will not usually work. The diaphrams are the fuel pump of these carburetors.
MAke sure that you wash the carburetor out with soap and water and blow them dry BEFORE you install the diaphrams . The residual carb cleaner would damage the diaphrams and cause them not to work if you don't wash the carb ins soap & water.