Small Engine

Small Engine Troubleshooting Problems? Ask a Mechanic Now.

Small Engine

I have a craftsman edger that starts but no powerr

Customer Question
i have a craftsman edger that starts but no powerr
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Small Engine
5/30/2015
Technician: Donald, Small Engine Technician replied 2 years ago
Donald
Donald, Small Engine Technician
Hello and thank you for choosing Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I will do my very best to get you the answer you need to your question.
Will your engine continue to run until you shut it off? Have you checked your air filter?
engine runs, has no power to run the blade
I need to confirm something. When you say no power to run your blade, are you saying that your blade is not turning at all, or are you saying your blade turns, but not as fast as it once did?
Do you see any other numbers on your edger?
engine just runs in idle mode, engage the blade, runs very slow does not cut, if hit sidewalk or dirt engine shuts off. i see no numbers on engine, i believe it is Craftsman 77237 - 29cc 4 Cycle Gas Edger
Have you checked to see if the throttle on your carburetor is actually moving, when you squeeze your trigger?
should the engine be running at cutting speed before engaging the blade?
Yes it should. If not, your throttle cable may be broken.
the cable is moving the carburetor, just not enough power to cut
does the carburetor nee some kind of adjustment
engine is not running at maximum speed
the throtle is all the way at rabbit running
Remove your air filter and let's see if your power increases. Do you see any smoke coming from your muffler?
Based upon what we have covered thus far, it is very likely that your muffler could be clogged, and restricting your power. Check the spark arrestor screen on your muffler to see if it is clogged.
the power increased with taking off the air filter sponge
where is the spark arrestor screen?
Thanks for this information. If your power increased after you removed your air filter sponge, then a new filter should resolve our problem. You can also give your existing filter a good cleaning with dish washing soap and water. Rinse it well, and dry it.
Try this first, before focusing on your muffler.
how long should the edger blade be?
Are you asking about the length of your blade?
yes
how do you get to the spark arrestor screen?
Sears shows your blade to be 9 inches. I was not able to pull up a breakdown of your engine. Locate your muffler, and you should see a screen covering the outlet of your muffler.
what else can it be, as when i put the filter in after i cut it off it wont start until i take out the sponge filter
Do you have full power when your filter is out? You may need a new filter. Check to make sure your oil is not over filled.
i cleaned out the filter let it dry, what is the difference with a new sponge filter, also could it be not enough oil?
Was your filter oily before you cleaned it? The questions I am asking, are for troubleshooting purposes only.
not overly oily
Have you located the screen on your muffler?
yes i did, it wasnt cloggged
I did not see a reply from you, when I asked, if your engine will run with full power, if you leave your air filter out.
not full power, but better
what is the difference between a new sponge filter and the one i cleaned out?
If you thoroughly cleaned and properly dried your existing filter, there is not any difference.
Based upon what we have cover thus far, your muffler and air filter is okay. So, it is very likely that your valves are out of adjustment.
Manual - Click Here
Click on the link above to open manual. Scroll to page 9. Look under Maintenance and Repair Instructions. Then scroll to page 11.
It is required by manufacturer that you check and/or adjust your valves after 10 hours.
do you have any more ideas why it is not running at full power? that link is not coming up
Try This Link - Click Here
Give it just a minute to download.
Replace your spark plug, just to be sure. If the results are the same, then I suggest that you check your valve clearances.
Donald
Donald
Donald, Small Engine Technician