Frank
Frank, Small Engine Tech
Experience:  I've been a small engine technician for 10+ years. EETC Certified.
71382593

40v max lithium cordless mower by craftsman. I hit a rock did

Customer Question

40v max lithium cordless mower by craftsman. I hit a rock did not see it and the mower stopped. I checked for damage and saw nothing but the mower won't start. I took the battery and safety key out and let it sit for 10 minutes. After installing battery and safety key it still won't start. This is the second time I am using this mower. Any troubleshooting tips for this?
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Frank replied 2 years ago.
Hello there,
Even though I know more about gas powered small engines than I do about electric mowers, I felt the need to try and help you out seeing as though you posted this a couple days ago and have yet to hear from anyone. But I am telling you upfront I don't know much about these things other than the fundamentals.
So, you hit a rock and the mower suddenly stopped. On gas powered mowers, there is a "flywheel key" that is meant to Shear when abrupt impact happens like this. I'm curious to know, if these electric motors, have something similar equipped for just the same reason. I would pull the battery out, and investigate. Remove the blade, and check the crankshaft (spindle shaft) and look to see if there is a roll pin or some other soft pin that could have sheared off. If nothing, then I'd pull the plastic covers off and investigate the electric motor and see if it is equipped with something similar. Also, if the mower has any fuses, I'd pull them and check them.
I'd start there.
Can you provide me with the exact model and serial number please? That can help me in researching a better answer for you.