Briggs-Fan
Briggs-Fan, Small Engine Technician
Experience:  over 15 years experience in small engine repair, multiple certifications
75998144

I have a lawn tractor, a Troybilt horse xp with a Kohler Courage

Customer Question

I have a lawn tractor, a Troybilt horse xp with a Kohler Courage 22 hp hydrostatic transmission. When I turn the key on, the headlights and the fuel solenoid click on but the engine does not do anything. The starter will spin when bypassing with jumper cables so I don't think it's the starter. Also checked the 20amp fuse under the battery and it's intact. Also brake is locked and I was sitting in seat with the mower in neutral and deck off so it should'nt be a kill switch either. Any ideas what I should do next?
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Briggs-Fan replied 2 years ago.
Hi my name is ***** ***** welcome to just answer. If you jump the starter directly will it start or just turn over ?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
It starts.
If it starts and stays running , it sounds like the starter solenoid . To find the starter solenoid trace the thick cable that's bolted to the starter back and the other end will be bolted to the solenoid. It will have 2 post with wires bolted to each post , tape or mark the wires so you know which wires go to which post , also unhook the battery before changing it . Here some info on how to test the solenoid
http://homeguides.sfgate.com/tell-starter-solenoid-bad-kohler-riding-mower-engine-101991.html