Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  have worked on and around most engine models for 35 yrs./Polaris ATV expert
30244710

I have a Craftsman Ride on lawn mower with a 18.5 hp single

Customer Question

I have a Craftsman Ride on lawn mower with a 18.5 hp single cylinder Briggs & Straton Intek plus motor in it. The gas tank cracked open on the top and let water into the tank. I have now been able to replace the tank, but can not Even turn the starter motor over. Whether it is the seat, clutch of some other safety switch that i can not find is my question for you. I did replace the battery and thy starter solinoid, with no luck. could it be the electric switch under the carberator?. I do have an electric scymatic drwawing for this mower.
I live in a small town called Jamul, which is 30 miles east of El Cajon, Calif.
Lee Budvarson 1-***-***-****
[email protected]
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 2 years ago.
Welcome to JUST ANSWER small engines, let me try to help you !! Do you get any indication you have voltage to the key switch? Can you follow the positive battery cable to the starter solenoid and jump the two large terminals with old screwdriver, to see if the engine will spin? This is check of battery,cables and starter. Is the single ignition fuse good, as it has to power the keyswitch.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
The battery was an old battery, so I replaced it.. After replacing the starter solenoid I was able to jumper the starter motor so that it would turn over.. I took off hoses going to the carberator to make sure that new gas was getting to it ok. The motor turned over at a good speed. I do not have a spark tester, so i could not test if any spark was getting to the plug or not.would it be better to talk on the phone?
lee