Briggs-Fan
Briggs-Fan, Small Engine Technician
Experience:  over 15 years experience in small engine repair, multiple certifications
75998144

My Simplicity garden tractor overheats after about an hour

Customer Question

My Simplicity garden tractor overheats after about an hour of operation. Could the engine block heat sincs be covered with grass and dirt?
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Briggs-Fan replied 2 years ago.
Hi my name is ***** ***** thank you for using Just Answer. once it gets hot does it shut off ? , if so we need to check to see if your losing spark or compression , how long does it have to sit before restarting?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I let it sit for an hour and it ran fine.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
When it is in that hot mode, it begins to run rough and then it stalls. If I use the choke I can get a few more minutes out of it.
Once it dies have you ever tested IR for spark after it dies ?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I'm sure it has spark because I can start it immediately....it just runs rough and eventually stalls.
Ok , just making sure it's not a coil issue , are the fins clean ? Etc
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
The top end of the fan is clear. However, I'm wondering how clogged up things are further down.
Can I take an air hose and just start blowing everything out?
Yes you can , I'd remove the blower housing to makes sure no mice nest are blocking the flywheel from cooling the motor etc
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
The blower housing looks like it might be a complicated removal. I'll give it a try.
Can you give me the make and model of the engine and I'll look at a diagram
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
After removing about nine screws, I was still unable to remove blower housing. I lifted up enough to see most of the fins which I blew out with 100 lbs of air. The fins look pretty good. Its a Simplicity Regent 14HP Hydro Tractor. Mfg No.(###) ###-####
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Make that Mfg No(###) ###-#### ***** read this one off the tractor chassie. The first one I gave you is off the Owners Manual.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Its a Kohler Command High Output Series.
It should have 4 to 6 bolts around the sides that loosen or come off to get the cover off , might have to undo and remove the air filter etc but the motor should have a model number on the shroud somewheres like sv590s etc
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
After removing the screws, I put it all back together. Some of the screws were a real pain (hard to get at). I don't plan on doing that again. You'll have to go with the info I already gave you.
Ok I will opt out and let another expert take over because for all we know if there is grass or debris or a mouse nest under that blower housing that could easily cause a overheating issue . It's just to hard to diagnose if we can't check .
I really want to help you resolve thus issue, can you locate the model number on the engine itself for me, I then can try to find a diagram or walk you through removing the blower housing . My cancer is if there is alot of grass in the fins etc than it makes me wonder if the flywheel fins or around the flywheel itself are blocked .