Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  have worked on and around most engine models for 35 yrs./Polaris ATV expert
30244710

I have a John Deere X585 with the Kawasaki V twin. I runs

Customer Question

I have a John Deere X585 with the Kawasaki V twin. I runs good at full throttle when mowing,,, but when I stop mowing and throttle back to an idle, it runs rough and engine RPM goes up and down.
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 2 years ago.
Welcome to JUST ANSWER small engines, let me try to help you !! I see no mention of the air cleaner in the Kawasaki manual! But I doubt it has anything to do with the way the engine runs. I would want to run a cylinder test on the engine. Loose the spark plug wires and with engine idling remove one spark plug wire at a time, to see if both cylinders are equal. If engine dies when one is removed, the opposite cylinder is not firing. If cylinder is not firing, check it for spark, and compression. If both cylinders are equal, replace the spark plugs and the air filter element and fuel filter, to eliminate them as possible problem. We can go from here, thank you