Small Engine

Small Engine Troubleshooting Problems? Ask a Mechanic Now.

Hank I have an Onan Microquiet 4000 watt generator that keeps…

Customer Question
Hank I have an Onan...
Hank I have an Onan Microquiet 4000 watt generator that keeps tripping the circuit breaker on the generator but keeps running. It will trip even if it's just the clock on the microwave drawing power. Any suggestions?
Submitted: 3 years ago.Category: Small Engine
Answered in 1 hour by:
5/27/2015
Technician: Hank F., Technician replied 3 years ago
Hank F.
Hank F., Technician
Hello!
Thank you for requesting me.
If the breaker keeps tripping, there are only 3 possibilities:
1. You actually have more on than you think you do (even if you think you have everything off, there are some things that still draw power - like the converter).
2. You have a short in an appliance or the wiring.
3. You have a weak circuit breaker.
You need to have an amp draw test done on the coach and/or the breaker itself - and preferably both.
Doing an amp draw on the coach involves having a special plug in tester. But an RV shop can do the test in 5 minutes.
Testing the breaker on the genset is a little more involved, but if you want to take it out, you can take it to most any electrical shop and have it load tested. It just takes a few minutes to test, but is a bit of work to remove.
.
Hank - Having a problem following a couple of these.1. The largest draw in my Class C Motor Home is the AC Roof Unit and Microwave which were both off. Not sure where you were going with this.
2. If there is a short in an appliance that would show up when we were plug in to a 30 Amp outlet. No problem at all when RV is powered by AC.3. I thought about the Breaker that might be my best bet. Load Test unless I'm missing simething should trip one of the AC Breakers if something was drawing more power than it normally does.
It is not common, but I have seen a short occur in the pigtail between the genset and the coach. It can draw a heck of a load.
But I have also seen weak breakers. Not very often, but it does happen. My concern is that even a weak breaker will typically handle some load. From what you are saying, yours won't seem to handle any load at all - and I have never seen that in the 15 years I have been working on these.
.
Have you had the breaker tested yet?
.
No I bring it into an Onan Dealer for service this week. I will let you know what they find so you can pass it onto others in the future.
Ok
.