Small Engine

Small Engine Troubleshooting Problems? Ask a Mechanic Now.

My toro riding mower is not sucking gas. new filter and pump, new fuel lines. the pump is…

Customer Question
my toro riding mower is...
my toro riding mower is not sucking gas. new filter and pump, new fuel lines. the pump is located high on the engine. if i lower it to the level of the fuel line it pumps fuel. raise it back to normal position and it will run until the fuel in the line between the pump and carburator is gone. will not pull fuel from the tank. can i install an electric pump to assist?
Submitted: 3 years ago.Category: Small Engine
5/27/2015
Technician: Frank, Small Engine Tech replied 3 years ago
Frank
Frank, Small Engine Tech
Try this video and let me know if it helps any.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HAUZUPoopSI

No matter how low the oil level it still pushes oil into the fuel pump vacuum tube and blocks it off. Then the fuel stops flowing. After I drain it it takes about 5 minutes to plug up again. This seems to be the only problem.

If there is excess oil building up in your vacuum line, I'd suspect a head gasket leak.

The head gasket is new. Engine was rebuilt with new gaskets

Well I'll research it a bit more if you're certain. But if it looks like a duck and acts like a duck, chances are...
When and why was the engine rebuilt?
There could be clues right there.

2 years ago. About 50 hours since

Well, it's definitely possible. Depending on conditions a gasket can fail pretty quickly. When the engine is running, is there smoke coming out of exhaust? It would mean it's burning oil. And if so, I'd push the head gasket probability.
You shouldn't have that amount of oil in your vacuum line is why I'm thinking head gasket. Another possibility could be your breather valve is failing, that's another possibility.
Some how there is crank case pressure building.scenarios are: Piston ring blow by,leaking head gasket, damaged breather, valve clearance. Those are where I'd look.
The fact that this motor had been open once already is concerning and possibly related.
can you complete these info request please.
-Equipment Make:
-Model:
-Serial Number:
-EngineMake:
-Model:
-Type/Spec Number:
-Code/Serial Number:
-How many hours/years are on your equipment?
-How long has the problem been occurring?
If you're confident it's not a head gasket leak, (test with compression tester to be sure if you have access to one)
then I'd say investigate/replace the breather assembly. it's possibly sticking/not functioning.
Let me know.

Checking it out tonight.

Ok, let me know what you do and what you find.