Briggs-Fan
Briggs-Fan, Small Engine Technician
Experience:  over 15 years experience in small engine repair, multiple certifications
75998144

22 hp Kohler not turning over. Battery charged, new starter,

Customer Question

22 hp Kohler not turning over. Battery charged, new starter, but nothing. Amp gauge registers when turning on key, buts that's it.
Troy-Bilt 13AX79KT011 - Troy-Bilt Horse Lawn Tractor (2010) 46" riding mower
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Briggs-Fan replied 2 years ago.
Hi my name is ***** ***** welcome to just answer , is there any clicking noise or anything ?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
No, there is not even a clicking noise. The amp gauge needle does move when the key is turned on.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
The last time it was running, it worked fine. I was unloading from my truck when it turned over a couple of times and then just quit altogether. I presumed it might be the starter, since I needed to adjust valves and it was struggling to start. New starter and adjusted valves and still nothing.
Ok , the first thing I would check is there is a 20 amp blade fuse near the starter solenoid , you can find the solenoid by tracing the thick cable that bolts to the starter back , the other end is bolted to the solenoid , the fuse will be near it , make sure that isn't blown . If it's not the next thing to try it jumping the solenoid , which you take a long screw driver and put it between the 2 post that the wires are bolted to on the solenoid, then turn the screwdriver so it touches both post and it will put power to the starter. If that works and it starts then we know the solenoid is bad
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
10-4, let me check and I'll be back soon. Thanks.
Ok , let me know what you find
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
The 20 amp fuse is okay. The solenoid for this model is located underneath the seat cowling of the mower. It is totally obstructed from view and preventing me from being able to jump it. Any other suggestions?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Found solenoid, but it was located out of reach and site under battery space and seat cowling. Was able to remove solenoid. Is there a way to test solenoid while it's out of mower?
The only thing you can do is try jumping it from the starter with a booster pack , you take the red clip and attach it to the nut of the starter and take the black clip and touch the frame , when the black grounds it will turn the starter over , put the e brake on and key to the on position to see if it stays running
No it has to be hooked up , and make sure you mark what wires do where if you unhook it
http://homeguides.sfgate.com/tell-starter-solenoid-bad-kohler-riding-mower-engine-101991.html
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I'm not a dummy about working on these things, but this has got me stumped. Booster battery did not do anything. I moved black ground clip into several positions and nothing happened. Should I reconnect the solenoid to try it again?FYI, I use my Iphone to take pictures of everything I take apart on my equipment. It's saved me lots of time:-)
Yes the solenoid has to be hooked up for this to work
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
OK, I will put it back on and give it a try. Thanks.
Ok I'll wait to hear back from you , from what it seems like , the solenoid isn't transferring the power from the battery to the starter but we won't know until we jump it from the starter and it runs
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Put solenoid back in and tried to jump start and nothing. No clicking, nothing. I'm baffled!
Something is grounding it out , was the key on the on position ? Is the brake on and blades disengaged ?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Yes, key was on and brake set with blades disengaged.
Starting to wonder if your ignition is killing it , if you unplug the ignition and try to turn the starter over I wonder if it will spin , even with the plug wire unhooked so it won't start .
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I went ahead and ordered a solenoid, it will be in in two days. I probably wasted my money, but want to eliminate that part.
Ok , I wouldn't open it and maybe you can return it , what it seems like is the ignition is not allowing any juice to get to the starter etc , have you unplugged the harness from the ignition and tried to jump the starter ?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
No, I have not unplugged ignition yet. Have to run some errands and will put it all back together and try that. I have to loosen gas tank to reach the ignition. Thanks.How does this work. Can I leave this thread open? How can I come back to it?
Check this video out , it's how to check the ignition switch
https://youtu.be/q8G7kxCl9hY
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
good video. I'll use it when I pull switch, thanks.
Ok , I'll wait to hear what you find