Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  have worked on and around most engine models for 35 yrs./Polaris ATV expert
30244710

Not sure of the model of my John Deere riding mower, I

Customer Question

Hi, not sure of the model of my John Deere riding mower, I have a Kohler engine, might help a lil bit. But I put to much oil and it was smoking real bad, so we emptied most of the oil, but the mower would run for a lil while and then stop. It would start rite up but would kill. So took the cover off and Gas is shooting out the carboratar, clean float and float pin 3xs, if you disconnect the tube in the front gas shoots out and runs good. Should I put a new carboratar? Or what should I do?
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 2 years ago.
Welcome to JUST ANSWER small engines, let me try to help you !! Good morning. Not sure why overfilling the oil would cause a carburetor problem! Where is fuel coming out of the carburetor? With just a single fuel line going to the carburetor, and no vent hose, is the fuel coming out of the carburetor throat opening? You have correct oil level and oil now? What kind of fuel pump does Kohler engine have? Mechanical pump, or the pulse pump with three hoses to it? The Pulse pump uses the crankcase pressure to power the pumps diaphragm, and it could be affected by too much oil in engine. Engine cranks and runs and then shuts off? The needle valve and float have to control the fuel into the carburetor bowl. The carburetor float does float. is not filled with gas?