Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  have worked on and around most engine models for 35 yrs./Polaris ATV expert
30244710

The automatic compression is not working. I've played with

Customer Question

The automatic compression is not working. I've played with the handle on the transmission to ensure it is in neutral? after I finally started it and ran it I shut it off and tried restart. The automatic compression worked as it should on all cold starts. How do you get the automatic compression to work? Is it in the trans shift handle on the transmission or what? Please help.
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 2 years ago.
Welcome to JUST ANSWER small engines, let me try to help you !! Make and model of the engine?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Family 6kax5.4312ca
Code fh430v - c525 - r
E/No fh430vb86585
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 2 years ago.
Kawasaki FH430V, it has compression release inside the engine, as part of the camshaft. It either works or it doesn't. Gives very few problems. What is happening? Engine harder to crank when hot? How old is engine? What CCA rating is on battery? 300 CCA, cold cranking amps, is best. Or more! You may have a weak battery or cables that need to be cleaned, or a bad starter, but I doubt it is the compression release!
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
No battery / pull start only. Previous owner says you need to make sure transmission is in neutral. My old maching was also very touchy when first cold starting / had to make sure it was in neutral. Engine has only 155 hours / dated back to 11/2006. Is the transmission shifter when placed in neutral have a switch that triggers the automatic compression release / if so where is it located?
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 2 years ago.
No. engine compression release is not external. There is no switch that triggers it. Having transmission in neutral would make cranking engine easier!
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
That's my point. What makes the shifter placing it in NEUTRAL have to do with the automatic compression release. When the automatic compression works the pull start is very easy / when it doesn't it takes me all my strength to pull and it doesn't spin easy / very difficult / the engine doesn't spin fast enough to start.
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 2 years ago.
The transmission shifter has nothing to do with compression release. Your transmission is not fully in neutral when engine is hard to turn, not compression release problem!
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
OK how do I adjust the transmission to make sure I get a neutral gear for starting? I've loosened the nut on the shifter and tried to adjust. There is a switch next to the shifter shaft in the transmission. Could that switch be bad?
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 2 years ago.
You have not given me any information other than basic engine numbers. What is the application? make and model of mower? I don't know what you have for a transmission. The switch is likely a neutral start switch, which makes sure transmission is in neutral before it lets engine start. It kills the spark by grounding the kill wire!
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Will disconnecting the switch wires help to disengage the neutral switch therefore eliminating the automatic compression?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
The mower is a 48" metro by exmark lawn mower. It has 5 forward and 1 reverse gear. The transmission is manually engaged for speed.
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 2 years ago.
No, disconnecting the switch will not help. You just have to be sure the transmission is in neutral!
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
How do you adjust the transmission / is there an adjustment / it only has 155 hours.
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 2 years ago.
No adjustment. My thoughts would be to be sure the mower is in neutral before turning off the engine. Then you are ready for start .
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Mower was in neutral after last time I used. When I went to restart next day cold it is back to HARD PULLING.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Once again when not running I can manually put in all gears / and put in neutral to freely push. Why is the automatic compression release not working? Why can't the transmission act in neutral / what adjustment can be made to make sure there is neutral in transmission for EASY PULL STARTING?
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 2 years ago.
That is the problem with manual start units. I never understand why they make the things. I'm to old to start them. If it's not electric start, I don't work on them! All I can tell you, it is not the compression release on the engine! I will opt out and see if anyone else can give you an answer you like.Please do not respond to me , as it will lock the question.Sorry.