Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  have worked on and around most engine models for 35 yrs./Polaris ATV expert
30244710

I have a Husqvarna RZ5424. I have a hard time starting

Customer Question

Hi, I have a Husqvarna RZ5424. I have a hard time starting it. If I turn it over for just a second or two and push the choke from open to closed it will start usually the 1st or 2nd time, but if it doesn't it usually doesn't start. Once on it runs like a champ. If I turn it over for several seconds nothing. It has new plugs and has less than 20 hours.
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 2 years ago.
Welcome to JUST ANSWER small engines, let me try to help you !! What engine is this? Briggs? Kohler? Choke cable is separate from the throttle? Check the choke at the carburetor, it should close when you pull the choke , does it close the flap completely? It should. To start, pull the choke all the way, have throttle at about 3/4 . Crank for just a few seconds, and then push the choke in. Engine should start.???
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
It has a Kawasaki 24 HP. Choke is separate from throttle. It dose close completely. I do pull choke with throttle 3/4. If I just turn it over and push the choke in as I let off the key it starts about 25% of the time. I only have like 2 shots at this otherwise it simply won't start. When it starts it runs great.
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 2 years ago.
So if it doesn't catch, it just spins and won't start? I wonder if the fuel solenoid in the carburetor is opening, or it could be sticking? In the base of the carburetor is the fuel solenoid, remove it and check it's operation, it should retract as soon as you turn the key on. It has to have full battery volts to open.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Ok Curtis, I'll check. But can I get back to you on this one. It's dark out and I'll check in the morning if that is ok?
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 2 years ago.
Sure, take your time. Thanks
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hi Curtis, the fuel solenoid works fine, there was fuel in the bowl and the float moves freely.
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 2 years ago.
When it does not start, pull a spark plug and see if is dry or wet from fuel. If wet, do a spark test, ground the spark plug and see if you have spark when cranking.