Small Engine

Small Engine Troubleshooting Problems? Ask a Mechanic Now.

Mtd model 422707/clicks when cranked. replaced the battery…

Customer Question
mtd model 422707/clicks when cranked...
mtd model 422707/clicks when cranked. replaced the battery and solenoid switch still makes the clicks. Replaced the ignition switch still clicks. double check the charge on the battery. 'there were no burn marks on the back of the old ignition switch either. I pulled the female end of the ignition switch and noticed the black and red wires were loose and the metal leads inside the plug were dirty. cleaned and replace same wires back into the female end of the ignition switch or the wiring harness plug. also checked the circuitbreaker above the solenoid switch and checked the continuity of the solenoid. Please help. picked up and aftermarket wiring harness to us the plug not sure what to do.
Submitted: 3 years ago.Category: Small Engine
I would really appreciate an answer very soon.
5/20/2015
Technician: Curtis B., Technician replied 3 years ago
Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Welcome to JUST ANSWER small engines, let me try to help you !! Can you turn the engine by hand using the flywheel screen on top? Are you getting a single click from starter solenoid, or a rat a tat , rapid clicking? Do you have a voltmeter to test the voltage?
Since there was a credit error I left the location of the mower. Will be there in 30 mins. I do know it is a single solenoid click. I do have a multimeter which I used to check the continuity earlier. can I re spond back around 800pm
Ok, thanks.
I am here ! Did you get the mower going?
No, the mower is not running. I need some expert advise Could u please tell me what u think is wrong. It has a single click when u try to start. How and what should I replace or change to get this mower going?????????????
Can you turn the engine manually? If not, remove the spark plugs and see if the starter will spin it.
You want me to remove the spark plugs( both of them) and try to start the moWER. if the STARTER DOES turn, WHAT DO U THINK IS WRONG WITH THE MOWER?
What about the single click.. Does that mean a bad ignition switch or bad solenoid switch?
Single click can be the solenoid not working. Removing the spark plugs is done to see if the engine has fluid on top of a piston, keeping the starter from having enough power to turn the engine.
a friend of mine touched the positive terminal going to the starter the one normally attached to the solenoid with some type of jump starter unit and the started turned the fly wheel but it did not start. it just wouldn't do it with the ignition switch.
Is this the solenoid that the click is coming from? This was the solenoid you have already replaced?
Yes the click is coming from the solenoid switch. I did switch it out for another but not identical. Still had the click. Should I try another solenoid switch but this time one that is identical to what I took out.
If the solenoid clicks, it should engage the starter! Do you have a voltmeter to see if you are getting 12 volts to the small switch terminal on the solenoid?
Yes I checked the little prone on the solenoid aND got 12v the same day we first correspondenced, but I will not be where the mower is located for at least 2 hours to make sure I did it right.
OK, it just seems like it may not be getting enough voltage to close it, and send the battery voltage to the starter motor.
When I get there and double check if it is 12v what then. If by chance it is not 12 v just replace thE solenoid switch agsin.
What About THE Loose Wires IN THE Female part of the IGITION switch
If voltage is less than battery voltage, then check the keyswitch wires! If there is battery voltage, the solenoid should be working! You said friend jumped it and made engine turn, so battery and starter are good!
I'm sorry I thought I told you I change the ignition switch, the solenoid switch and the battery and it still made the click. U think the loose wires in the female end of the IGITION switch could be the problem
You changed the solenoid, and still have the same problem. That tells me it could be the wires from the ignition switch!
That is what I was thinking I just didnot want to switch that plug without some expert advice. The plug that I have is a after market. 5 prones all single wires. The one on my mower has three single wires and two with two wires instead of one . will it be safe to run two wires into one wire on the new plug . The double wires on the mower are light green and yellow. The other three wires are singles ( two red and one black the ones that seem to be loose).
You can run the two wires into one. Just keep the wiring as is, and not mixed up!
I will try this and hopfully it will run. I will let u know . Thanks
OK, thanks.