Small Engine

Small Engine Troubleshooting Problems? Ask a Mechanic Now.

I have a toro model 20095 lawn mower with key start. Start…

Customer Question
Hi. I have a toro...
Hi. I have a toro model 20095 lawn mower with key start. Start fine first two to three times but after about 20 to 30 minutes of cutting grass it will not start
Submitted: 3 years ago.Category: Small Engine
5/19/2015
Technician: Jack, Small Engine Technician replied 3 years ago
Jack
Jack, Small Engine Technician
Hello, my name is Jack (MR.PUTTPUTT). I will do my best to assist you today. I am sorry to hear you are having problems with your toro, I run a MTD Troy-Bilt warranty and repair center and I am a certified tech on most makes and models, when you say it will not start are you saying it will not turn over like the battery is dead or are you saying it turns over but will not fire?
I will first try to restart it with the key but it ends up running the battery down. Then I will try to start by pulling the cord several times but it will not start. Some times it tries to start but does not. If I let it sit for over an hour it will start
okay thanks for that info, what you are going to need to do is find out what you are loosing, the engine needs 4 things to run, fuel, spark, compression, and air, so you have to be loosing one of these the most common of the issues is going to be fuel and spark, judging by your having to let it sit for a hour or so before it restarts I am think in you are loosing one of these 2 things, you will need to test for spark and fuel when it dies, once it dies you need to take and check the spark you can do this by taking off the spark plug wire and putting a screwdriver in the end and putting it close to the spark plug tip and then have someone slowly pull the cord and see if you have spark, it could be a bad coil or even a bad spark plug, when either of these 2 parts heat up they can loose spark and cause this. the next is fuel once stopped and no start take a little carb cleaner or WD40 and spray into the carb area with the air filter removed. and pull it over if it fires and stalls you know you have no fuel getting in to the system. are you comfortable doing these tests?
Curtis B.
Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician