Small Engine

Small Engine Troubleshooting Problems? Ask a Mechanic Now.

Small Engine

John Deare Sabre ride mower, Suddenly stopped engaging

Customer Question
Hi John Deare Sabre ride mower, Suddenly...
Hi
John Deare Sabre ride mower,
Suddenly stopped engaging gears( i.e. will not move), Any obvious clues?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Small Engine
5/19/2015
Technician: Donald, Small Engine Technician replied 2 years ago
Donald
Donald, Small Engine Technician
Hello and thank you for choosing Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I will do my very best to get you the answer you need to your question.
Was your mower working okay before you removed your rear tire?

Hi Donald,

Yes Mower starting fine and has never had an issue moving... just today..

Pleas click on the link, to open the image I attached for you. You will see a picture that includes the square key that has to slide into the keyway in your wheel and the keyway in your axle, in order for your wheels to drive.
Remove your rear wheel again, to see if your key is in place. Without this key in place, your axle will spin inside your wheel, rather than turn your wheel.

I will have to do this tomorrow. However, as mentioned, mower stopped working before I removed the rim. Also, would this have any effect on the actual mower engaging? The mower would not engage either?

thanks in advance

This will only affect the forward and reverse movement of your mower.

ok I'll check back in tomorrow after removing wheel and checking steps you mentioned. Regard the mower not engaging, anything I should focus on whilst checking?

A loose or worn belt can prevent your mower from engaging. Also check to see if your deck belt is off of one of your pulleys. Do you have manual or electric pto to engage your blades?

Manual handle that shifts forwards to engage mower blades.

Check the cable that attaches to your handle. Make sure that the idler arm that your idler pulley bolts to, is pivoting freely. If your idler arm is partially seizing, movement will be restricted, preventing your belt from tightening.

ok will do, am i able to pick up this convo tomorrow as unable to complete until then?

Sure. We can continue tomorrow. I will be here around 4:00 pm central time.
Donald
Donald
Donald, Small Engine Technician