Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  have worked on and around most engine models for 35 yrs./Polaris ATV expert
30244710

I have a Briggs 310000 that runs 8-10 minutes and

Customer Question

I have a Briggs 310000 that runs for about 8-10 minutes and then shuts down for lack of fuel. There is a vacuum hose that goes to the fuel tank that is not connected. Is this the cause of it starving for fuel?
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 2 years ago.
Welcome to JUST ANSWER small engines, let me try to help you !! Tank has to be vented, but the hose to the tank will not cause engine to stall. How long before engine will restart? Is this gravity flow system or have the pulse fuel pump?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I don't know if it is gravity flow or whether the engine has a fuel pump. This unit is mounted on a swisher trail mower and the gas tank is higher than the engine.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I forgot to tell you how long before the engine will restart. If you blow in the fuel tank it will start immediately. How can I tell whether it has a fuel pump or whether it is gravity fed?
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 2 years ago.
Likely gravity flow. will it immediate restart? Or does it have to cool? If it has to cool, you may be loosing spark from a bad coil./// I see your reply. The line from the fuel tank would go to a plastic round piece with three lines on it, fuel in, fuel out, ad the P line , which would be the pulse line that powers pump. Could the fuel tank have debris plugging the outlet in the tank?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
From your description we find that it is gravity flow. I didn't find any debris when I first dropped the sediment bulb. I then replaced the fuel line, but the problem continues. I don't know if there is debris in the tank, but I did empty it last fall and left the fuel tank cap off.
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 2 years ago.
the cap off? Is there a fuel filter in the line from the tank? Gravity flow system, requires a low restriction filter. I would double check the tank and check the fuel filter. You say it has a sediment bowl? Screws into the fuel tank? Remove it and check for a screen on the inlet.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
O.K.
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 2 years ago.
let me know. Thanks.