Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  have worked on and around most engine models for 35 yrs./Polaris ATV expert
30244710

We have had our Onan generator since 2002 and not had a problem.

Customer Question

We have had our Onan generator since 2002 and not had a problem. Had it service when the coach was serviced. On our current trip twice it stopped while we were traveling. When we stopped at the next rest area, it started up. We were only operating an ice maker and hot water heater while traveling and the inverter was not working. What is going on?
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Hank F. replied 2 years ago.
Hello!
My name is ***** ***** I am going to assist you with this.
What is the model number?
.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
7500 Quiet Deisel
Expert:  Hank F. replied 2 years ago.
That is not a model number. That is a family series.
I need to know the actual model number.
.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
7.5HDKAJ11451H
Expert:  Hank F. replied 2 years ago.
Lets see what fault code is set in this unit.
Go to the genset and use the switch on the set itself.
Press 'Stop' 3 times within 5 seconds. The light in the switch will start flashing.
If the light flashes 3 times, pauses for 3 seconds, and flashes 3 more times, press and immediately release 'Stop' one more time.
This will put the controller into Fault Read Mode.
The light will flash (X) number of times, pause for 1 second, and flash for (X) number of times again. Count the flashes before and after the pause.
This will be the Fault Code.
Example: 2 rapid flashes, 1 second pause, 5 rapid flashes is a Fault Code 25.
There may be more than one Fault Code stored, so watch the light very carefully. If there is more than one code, it will display them all in order, and then start over again.
Be very careful not to misread a first level fault code (single digit code) as a second level fault code (double digit code).
The way to tell the difference is by the length of the pauses.
There is a 1 second pause between digits of a second level code, and a 3 second pause between codes.
For example, if it is flashing 2 times, 1 second pause, flashing 2 times, 3 second pause and repeating, then this is a second level fault code of 22.
If it is flashing 2 times, 3 second pause, flashing 2 times, 3 second pause and repeating, then this is a first level fault code of 2.
What Fault Code are you getting?
.