Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  have worked on and around most engine models for 35 yrs./Polaris ATV expert
30244710

James W. and thank you, I have a JD 318 onan enginethat

Customer Question

Hi James W. and thank you,
I have a JD 318 onan enginethat will not start. It has not been started in 9 months. I have replaced plugs changed oil, replaced gas lines and fuel filter, cleaned carb with spray. Owned since new 1200 hours. Have pulled the engine before. Not a mechanic but do my own work. When cranking it starts up with starting fluid, runs great for a few seconds. The fuel pump works good. When I shoot compressed air into gas line after fuel filter, toward carb, the air doesn't go into carb. That's my question. Is this normal not to have the air go into carb? Thank you for any help you can give me.
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 2 years ago.
Welcome to JUST ANSWER small engines, let me try to help you !! From your description, the needle valve and float are stuck in the carburetor. If the needle valve is open , and float has dropped, the needle valve passage would be open, and air would blow into the carburetor. Remove the top section of the carburetor and check the needle valve and float.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thank you that worked!
Very happy.
Terry
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 2 years ago.
good job! Please rate and accept to close the question! Thank you.