Small Engine

Small Engine Troubleshooting Problems? Ask a Mechanic Now.

Troy-bilt Fastrack Lawn mower with 52" deck. Blades will not…

Troy-bilt Fastrack Lawn mower with...
Troy-bilt Fastrack Lawn mower with 52" deck. Blades will not engage, started as intermittent, now they never engage. I believe it has a solenoid activated PTO Clutch.
I think the Troy-Bilt is the same as a MTD. I found this partial MTD Model # ***** the seat 14AY869P063 0058, some of the characters are blackened and hard to make out.
5/12/2015
Technician: Curtis B., Technician replied 7 years ago
Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Welcome to JUST ANSWER small engines, let me try to help you !! I don't find the model listed. I assume this is zero turn model. It will have a pto switch on the dash that has to engage the electrical clutch, through a square relay in the wiring. There is no solenoid. Would you have owners manual with information? Maybe a different model number?
Unfortunately I do not have an owners manual. It is a garden tractor type riding mower. Has the name Troy-Bilt and Fastrak on the sides of the tractor and a 52" deck. Model number sticker under the seat is distorted, the 1st 3 characters are 14A and the last 5 are 9P063, can't make out the 3 additional characters in between. It may be 14AY809P063. It has a 23 HP B&S Kohler v-twin engine.
You are correct in regard to the PTO Switch, I just figured it fired a solenoid that engaged the clutch.
No, it has a small, square relay to engage the clutch. Can you take jumper wires from battery and jump the electric clutch to insure it is ok. It just has to click the magnet to close the clutch. Key does not even have to be on. I found model number! Troy-Bilt 14AY809P063. Here is link to the wiring diagram.------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------http://www.partstree.com/parts/troy-bilt/mowers-lawn-garden-tractor/14ay809p063-troy-bilt-garden-tractor-2000/electrical/
I can do that, but not until tomorrow morning. I will let you know the result then.
OK, thanks.
With jumpers installed relay engages clutch. With clutch relay engage I checked the blades drive belt to see if could easily be moved and it cannot so it appears the is working. With the clutch disengaged and motor off belt can be moved but there seems to be some drag,
So if relay works and clutch engages, the switch is in question. Do you have power to it, and does it send the voltage to the relay to close it?
There is 12V on the RED wire of the PTO Switch, When PTO switch is engaged there is 12V on the Blue/White wire going to the clutch but, only when measured to Chassis Ground, not when measured across the Clutch connector, which means we have ground issue to the White wire going to the Clutch.
wire damaged or bad connection?
Yellow/Black wire that goes to the reverse switch was disconnected but looks like it had been that way for some time. I reconnected but it made no difference. I ran a new ground wire from chassis ground to the green wire in the wiring harness and problem fixed. Spliced, taped and zipped tied all wires, ready to cut grass again.
Good job! Thanks for the reply. Please rate and accept to close the question.
Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician