Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  have worked on and around most engine models for 35 yrs./Polaris ATV expert
30244710

I have a Briggs & Stratton motor on a John Deere Mower. Model

Customer Question

I have a Briggs & Stratton motor on a John Deere Mower. Model 31P677 Type0130 E1 It just started smoking White smoke. any Ideas?
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 2 years ago.
Welcome to JUST ANSWER small engines, let me try to help you !! If oil level is correct and does not smell of gas in the oil, you have a blown head gasket. The gasket will be leaking between the cylinder and the pushrod cavity, sucking in oil on the intake stroke. It the goes through the cylinder and out the exhaust, and makes lots of white oil smoke. To repair, the head has to be removed,and the mating surfaces cleaned. New gasket and you are back in business.